My DSL internet was becoming painfully slow, so I decided to upgrade from 768K to 3Meg download speed. DSL was not available to me at 3Meg because of my distance from the exchange. I compared Uverse to Xfinity (Comcast) internet on price and chose Uverse. The order process was simple and it looked like the installation would be the same as the DSL installation. ie. Install phone line filters and plug the new modem in after the activation time.
The activation time rolled around and I plugged the modem in and went through AT&Ts configuration process. Everything went smoothly and I had higher speed internet. Sometime later I checked a phone for a dial tone, and there was none. Read on the follies that ensued.
Continue reading Adventures in the AT&T U-verse®
First a little background information. I wanted to import an 8 Gig Wikipedia table dump for a project that I was working on. The table was too big to import all of the records on my Linode server. I only needed certain rows and columns, so I tried parsing the dump file in PHP. This worked, but it was much too slow. So then I went looking for text processor programs. This turned up awk, grep, lex and sed. awk, grep and sed are all line based processors. These would not work because the dump file has multiple database records per line. That left lex and its successor flex.
Continue reading Mysqldump to TSV Conversion Using Flex
I saw a reference to ModSecurity while reading the following article on Slashdot: Writing Hardened Web Applications?. It is an Apache web server firewall module that is designed to look for and reject malicious access attempts. What follows are the trials and tribulations of installing it on debian.
Continue reading Adventures with ModSecurity
Continue reading HTML <noscript> Tag Usage
I just added HTML 5 species taxon microdata to worldspecies.org. This provides machine readable data for certain properties of a species. ie. Taxonomy, common names, synonyms. The data is embedded in the HTML and is tagged as property name/value pairs.
An example of the extracted data can be seen using Google’s Rich Snippets Testing Tool.
Continue reading HTML 5 Species Taxon Microdata Using Darwin Core
While trying to upgrade postgresql on my Linode virtual host, I managed to accidentally uninstall apache and php thanks to yums dependency management. Needless to say, all of my websites went down. I was tired of centoses locked in time software versioning and the hoops that were needed to add another software repository to get newer versions of software.
Continue reading Yuminess, Not!
Today I needed a gauge to show where on a scale that a value fell.
I wanted to use CSS instead of dynamically creating an image in PHP or creating 100 static images.
I found some samples that use DIV tags to create a gauge, but I needed to put text both before and after the gauge on the same line.
So I modified the sample Super simple CSS bars.
Continue reading CSS Progress Bar or Gauge
While looking at globalspecies.org’s webserver access log, I thought it would be interesting to see how the users were navigating the website. After not finding a free solution written in PHP, I decided to write my own.
Continue reading Website Click Tracker Written in PHP
Today I got an email from a site, that I haven’t visited in years, saying that they had been hacked and the password database had been stolen. Yikes!
Continue reading Password Security